coreutils

Re: split: Allow splitting by line count (instead of byte size)

From: Bernhard Voelker
Subject: Re: split: Allow splitting by line count (instead of byte size)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2021 02:15:33 +0100

On 1/12/21 10:25 PM, Pádraig Brady wrote:
> Well dealing with remainders would be an argument for implementing
> --number=L/N as it could distribute lines more evenly.
>
> I.e. --number=L/N would be like l/N, but it would
> try harder to evenly distribute lines,
> by identifying the number of lines up front,
> and determining which chunks would get an extra line
> to cater for the remainders.

The original case was to split a file into 2 pieces, and
several ways to solve this problem have already been presented.
Everything beyond sounds even more like an extreme corner
case and not really worth adding complexity.  Unless it's
a trivial extension (which I doubt), I'm against adding it.

Have a nice day,
Berny