coreutils

stdbuf feature request - line buffering but for null-terminated data

From: Zachary Santer
Subject: stdbuf feature request - line buffering but for null-terminated data
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 11:30:07 -0500

'stdbuf --output=L' will line-buffer the command's output stream.
Pretty useful, but that's looking for newlines. Filenames should be
passed between utilities in a null-terminated fashion, because the
null byte is the only byte that can't appear within one.

If I want to buffer output data on null bytes, the closest I can get
is 'stdbuf --output=0', which doesn't buffer at all. This is pretty
inefficient.

0 means unbuffered, and Z is already taken for, I guess, zebibytes.
--output=N, then?

Would this require a change to libc implementations, or is it possible now?

- Zack