cvsreport-announce

[cvsreport] cvsreport 0.3.0 released

From: Vincent Caron
Subject: [cvsreport] cvsreport 0.3.0 released
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 16:49:50 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

  I'm happy to announce a major cvsreport release. Two important events :

    * We're now hosted on the Savannah GNU facility at
http://www.nongnu.org/cvsreport/

    I moved your subscription to the SourceForge mailing-list to this one at
nongnu.org, please contact me if this is not convenient for you (or go straight
to the
web interface, see this mail signature).

    * This is a complete rewrite which I started 2 weeks ago. It's not widely
tested,
and I really need some feedback and portability fixes, your help is greatly
appreciated. I plan to integrate cvsreport soon into Savannah, it's already
experimentaly working.

-- Release notes --

- cvsreport 0.3.0 - July 16 2003

  This is the revamp of the 0.2.x serie. It has actually been rewritten from
scratch
with much better Perl code (use strict!) and great care to solve most of the
past
problems encountered the last two years with the previous code base.

  * changeset : this notion is now the basis of cvsreport, it can identify
changesets
    online (knowing when a user commit 'starts' and 'stop' on the server), or
offline
from a repository. Branch support is native.

  * simple : it has a simple unified usage and single installation process. It
does not
    need to be a wrapper, it's happy as a simple commitinfo filter.

  * configurable : it has a simple yet versatile configuration mechanism, with
much room
    for backward compatible extensions.

  * robust : HTML strictness, proper shell quoting, and error management were
handled
    with care. A stressing test suite has been built to check scalability
issues.

  * fast : local code paths are faster when possible, avoiding a bunch of CVS
process
    spawning (way lighter than previous code).

  * documented : a man page and examples.

  It's known to have some rough corners still (it's 2 weeks old after all), and
lack a
mandatory feature (inline diffs). This will make a good incentive to move
toward the
next release I guess.