dazuko-devel

[Dazuko-devel] Dazuko: remove CLOSE_MODIFIED?

From: John Ogness
Subject: [Dazuko-devel] Dazuko: remove CLOSE_MODIFIED?
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 10:41:21 +0200

Hi,

It has come to my attention that the CLOSE_MODIFIED event is a bit ambiguous. Using:

cp file1 file2

causes the event to be fired for file2 (this is good). However, using:

cat file1 > file2

does NOT cause the event to be fired (although the CLOSE event will be fired) (this is bad). Therefore, I would like to eliminate the CLOSE_MODIFIED event altogether. I will leave it defined, but have the compiler throw a warning that it will never be fired.

Aside from CLOSE_MODIFIED being a flaky event, it also adds a LOT of overhead to the kernel. I am tracking file writes. This is ugly, slow, and is known to cause problems with things such as the grsecurity patch for Linux. By removing CLOSE_MODIFIED, I no longer would need to replace the write system call.

If I do not receive any objections or someone finds an elegant and reliable way to implement CLOSE_MODIFIED, then this WILL happen. :)

John Ogness
Dazuko Maintainer