dazuko-devel

[Dazuko-devel] Dazuko 1.2.0-pre2 available

From: John Ogness
Subject: [Dazuko-devel] Dazuko 1.2.0-pre2 available
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:46:31 +0200

Hi,

I have just released 1.2.0-pre2. One of the biggest problems I was having with the birthday release was my implementation of cascading. It was based on a linked list, which is nearly impossible to efficiently manage on an SMP machine. Needless to say, it has been reimplemented using an array with protected containers.

Many of the functions have been inlined and declared as static. This MIGHT help the ON_EXEC events. The ON_EXEC events have been turned back on by default in this version. For me it has been running flawlessly. I will continue testing to see if it is OK. I have suspected the ON_EXEC problems were due to stack overflows and the inline's may have helped this.

I am going to do some code cleanup for the next pre-release. There are a few things in there that I would like to improve on. I also need to do some testing for the ON_CLOSE_MODIFIED event to make sure that it is running good (although it is still turned off by default).

RedHat 9 no longer exports the system call table OR the on_exit symbol. This means that Dazuko can no longer be dynamically loaded into the RedHat 9 kernel. Although this is frustrating to many RedHat users who rely on Dazuko, I can understand RedHat's incentive and it does provide a more secure kernel. I will be developing a kernel patch soon.

I have also been looking at the RSBAC (http://rsbac.org) code to see how Dazuko can be integrated. From what I have seen so far, it would be easiest to implement Dazuko as a Malware Scanner (MS component) for RSBAC. This should work with Dazuko nearly "as-is", meaning that people who use RSBAC (Trusted Debian) could utilize the Dazuko interface for easy 3rd-party interaction.

If you are developing software to use Dazuko, please use the 1.2.0-pre2 release. It runs very stable and utilizes the new dazukoRegister() function to provide cascading. Once its stability has been proven, it will be released.

John Ogness

--
Dazuko Maintainer