dazuko-devel

[Dazuko-devel] Hidden System Call Table

From: John Ogness
Subject: [Dazuko-devel] Hidden System Call Table
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 12:41:40 +0200

Hi,

With RedHat's newer kernels, the system call table is hidden. This was
ok, because a workaround was submitted by Danilo Massa that allowed the
table to be found using sys_exit. However, with the new RedHat kernels,
sys_exit is also not available. I have released 1.2.1-pre1 of Dazuko,
which can now find the system call table based on sys_close. This is
turning out to be a cat and mouse game with RedHat. :(

The good news is that RedHat is being forced to create tighter and more
secure kernels. Unfortunately, this means that Dazuko will need to find
a better way to integrate with the RedHat kernels. I would like to meet
with Amon Ott (from RSBAC) to discuss better alternatives to "hooking"
the system call table. Hopefully this will happen soon. :)

Lately I have been very busy with the 1.3 branch (implementing the new
cross-platform layer). This should be finished within the next month,
which will allow for fairly simple porting to FreeBSD 4.x (my next
target platform).

John Ogness

--
Dazuko Maintainer