dazuko-devel

[Dazuko-devel] Dazuko driver takes lots of cpu time, bottleneck discover

From: Tikka, Sami
Subject: [Dazuko-devel] Dazuko driver takes lots of cpu time, bottleneck discovered
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 16:28:02 +0300

When I have dazuko driver loaded and our on-access-scanner running, I
frequently see my system go into a state where the system takes 50-90% of all
cpu time (reported by 'top').

This usually happens after accessing a lot of files, like hundreds of
thousands. (Compile XFree86 and glibc)

When I kill the on-access-scanner process, the system cpu usage goes down to
almost nothing, i.e. the normal situation.

During such a system-load situation I ran oprofile and this is what it
reports:

samples  %        app name                 symbol name
1606     56.0950  dazuko.o                 xp_compare_file
523      18.2676  dazuko.o                 dazuko_mark_hash_dirty
93        3.2483  dazuko.o                 dazuko_get_hash
[deleted the rest]

It seems to me that there is a linked list data structure in dazuko that is
becoming a bottleneck.

At the moment I do not have a patch to fix this, I thought I'd just report
what I have seen.

Anyone else seen this? Is anyone working on a fix?

--
Sami Tikka                tel. +358 9 2520 5115
senior software engineer  fax. +358 9 2520 5014