dazuko-devel

RE: [Dazuko-devel] dazukoFS - redirFS

From: Frantisek Hrbata
Subject: RE: [Dazuko-devel] dazukoFS - redirFS
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 18:37:51 +0200 (CEST)

>This is interesting, but to me the greatest interest of the VFS approach
>using FiST was to benefit from the portability of FiST beyond just Linux.

>How do you plan on supporting OS like Solaris or FreeBSD with this code ?
>It does sound like a duplication of effort, but I may be mistaken.

You are absolutely right. The solution, as I introduced it, is for Linux
kernels only, because it works directly with Linux VFS internals. It is
intended to solve some Dazuko's problems on Linux kernels (for
example ON-CLOSE events for Linux 2.6).
I am not planning to port this to Solaris or FreeBSD. For these OS
it will have to be completely rewritten.

Actually at this moment I am waiting for some feedback and then we will
see if this is a right way.

>From a few of the paper that I read on the subject, I don't think that
>the processing overhead introduced by the extra work FiST does is really
>a problem.

I think, that processing overhead is not a problem, but the duplication of
VFS objects could be. Please note, that for on-access scanning only some
events like open, exec and close are needed. So, why to duplicate all VFS
objects in the inode and dentry cache.

Franta