dazuko-devel

RE: [Dazuko-devel] A trouble with samba-vscan

From: Tikka, Sami
Subject: RE: [Dazuko-devel] A trouble with samba-vscan
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 12:17:46 +0300

Unless something has changed recently, I think you have confused two
unrelated things.

Samba-vscan and dazuko have nothing in common. Samba-vscan is not based on
dazuko. Samba-vscan and dazuko are two different tools for intercepting file
accesses. Samba-vscan can intercept file accesses of windows workstations on
the samba server. Dazuko can intercept any file access on a host. After
interception it is possible to e.g. do a virus scan on the accessed file.

If securing files on a samba server is your goal, samba-vscan + some
compatible virus scanner is probably the best way to go.

If the same files are accessed also by Linux/Unix users via NFS or other
means, you should install dazuko + some compatible virus scanner. (But please
note that the dazuko driver cannot intercept the file accesses of the kernel
NFS daemon in the NFS server.)

I have not followed samba-vscan in a long time so if modern versions of it
are based on dazuko, just tell me to shut up :)

--
Sami Tikka                tel. +358 9 2520 5115
senior software engineer  fax. +358 9 2520 5014