dazuko-devel

[Dazuko-devel] Problems with RHEL 3 with hugemem kernel

From: Juha Autero
Subject: [Dazuko-devel] Problems with RHEL 3 with hugemem kernel
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 19:51:32 +0300

Our customer has a problem with dazuko. It causes kernel panic on Red
Hat Enterprise Linux 3 with hugemem kernel. We manage to reproduce
kernel panic in our end which probably means that it is not kernel
configuration problem.

Kernel panic happens when our program tries to connect Dazuko. We get
following error messages to our log:
Dazuko error: writing to device: Bad address

Kernel panic says that EIP is at dazuko_get_value and call trace have
following symbols:

linux_dazuko_device_write
.rodata.str1.1
do_page_fault
sys_write
put_user_size
linux_dazuko_sys_write
sys_read
do_page_fault

Kernel panic output also has:

Code: Bad EIP value.

Kernel panic: Fatal exception

The process is our on access scanner process.

What worries me is that when googling hugemem I found a blog comment
that said:"Incidentally, the 4G/4G patch had the nice side-benefit of
exposing numerous bugs in the use of user pointers in drivers, most of
which were quickly resolved."
<http://www.orablogs.com/mt-bin/mt-comments271276.cgi?entry_id=1363>

--
Juha Autero                             tel +358 9 2520 5108
Software Engineer                       fax +358 9 2520 5001