dazuko-devel

[Dazuko-devel] DazukoFS 3.0.0 released

From: John Ogness
Subject: [Dazuko-devel] DazukoFS 3.0.0 released
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 22:35:26 +0100

Hi,

DazukoFS 3.0.0 has been released. This is the 3.0.0-rc4 version with
several patches for other kernels included.

The Dazuko website has been updated for DazukoFS. Although a lot of
information is still missing (particularly the FAQ), I think there is
enough there to avoid misleading users about the current Dazuko
version.

I welcome anyone who is willing to help improve the wiki.

I will not be doing any development on the 3.0.x version. If problems
are discovered and need to be fixed, I will accept patches. From the
patches I can then release newer 3.0.x versions.

My development efforts will focus on a 3.1.x version, which involves
incompatible changes based on recommendations from LKML. Some of these
changes are:

- use /dev/dazukofs/xyz instead of /dev/dazukofs.xyz devices

- introduce per-filesystem devices (or virtual files?) to communicate
  with DazukoFS from within containers

- use the pid struct instead of the task struct to track processes

- allow all threads to be ignored if any thread opens the ignore
  device

- fix stacking code to allow the lower mount to be directly modified
  without causing problems for DazukoFS

Some of these items are very big, but until now I have been very happy
about the feedback from LKML. They are very good suggestions that are
certain to expand on the correctness and usefulness of DazukoFS.

John Ogness

--
Dazuko Maintainer