dazuko-devel

Re: [Dazuko-devel] Patch 2/5

From: Lino Sanfilippo
Subject: Re: [Dazuko-devel] Patch 2/5
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 18:09:02 +0200

John Ogness wrote:
On 2010-07-08, Lino Sanfilippo <address@hidden> wrote:
This patch enables behaviour compatible with BSD signal semantics by
making the read() calls on the dazukofs devices restartable across
signals.

It is not clear to me that this is proper behavior for read() return
values. I have decided not to apply this patch for 3.1.4-rc1.

John Ogness
Hi,

Userspace will (in most cases) still see -EINTR if interrupted by a signal (in fact
-ERESTARTSYS should never be seen by userspace).
The exception is if a signal handler has been installed with the SA_RESTART flag set, the kernel will try to restart the interrupted system call (read() from dazukofs
device in our case) and not notify userspace.
This is a feature that has been introduced by BSD and is also supported by Linux. I thought it would be nice if dazukofs would support those semantics, too (i know some device drivers do, but I dont think its something a device _has_ to support...)

Regards,
Lino

Geschäftsführender Gesellschafter: Tjark Auerbach
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Tettnang
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Ulm, HRB 630992
ALLGEMEINE GESCHÄFTSBEDINGUNGEN
Es gelten unsere Allgemeinen Geschäftsbedingungen
(AGB). Sie finden sie in der jeweils gültigen Fassung
im Internet unter http://www.avira.com/de/standard-terms-conditions-business-de