ddd

Debugging Shared Libraries

From: Martin Wartens
Subject: Debugging Shared Libraries
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 19:07:42 +0100

I am having problems with debugging a shared library with DDD3.2.1/gdb4.1.8 on SUSE Linux 7.0 and Sun/Solaris5.7. I can't see the shared library sources until I have started (and interrupted) the application. Then I can set breakpoints in the shared library sources, but when I restart the application I get a message like
Cannot insert breakpoint 2:
Cannot access memory at address 0xc01234567

This is how I build my
application:

#building object files for shared library
g++ -g -fPIC -c foo.cc -o foo.o
#building shared library
g++ -g -shared -Wl,-soname,libFoo.so -o libFoo.so.1.0 foo.o
#building application
g++ -g -o FooMain main.o -lFoo

What is wrong? What can I do except building a static library?
Thank you,
   M.W.