ddd

Re: DDD source code coloring

From: Andreas Zeller
Subject: Re: DDD source code coloring
Date: 02 Jul 2001 16:21:18 +0200

Hi!

Boris Gelbshein <" rm17660"@email.sps.mot.com> writes:

> I didn't find in [DDD] source code coloring.  I think this is one of
> the important features, which adds a lot to code readability.

The canonical answer to this is `integrate DDD with (X)Emacs, as
described in the manual'.  Emacs has all the highlighting you ever
wanted (and much more).

> Could you please consider implementing this feature in future versions.

Won't be done (at least not by myself).  First, the Motif text widget
(used in the DDD source window) does not support colored text; second,
I'd have to do this for the (at least) seven languages supported by
GDB; third, every other programmer would disagree on my choice of
highlighting and request customization (which is the hardest part).
All this has been done in Emacs; I see no point in reinventing the wheel.

Hope this helps, and best wishes,

Andreas

--
Andreas Zeller     Universitaet des Saarlandes
                   http://www.fmi.uni-passau.de/st/staff/zeller/