ddd

Question for Andreas (and some info) about remote debugging ?

From: David McCarthy
Subject: Question for Andreas (and some info) about remote debugging ?
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 22:02:07

First of all, DDD rocks !!!!

I have been trying to figure out how to debug a program on a remote machine. In this case, the remote machine is not directly accessible by remote shell so the --rhost MACHINE does not work directly, there is a number of commands that need to exec'd ( like telnet from A to B, then telnet B to C, then some additional commands ) before I get to the machine that I want to debug on.

SOLUTION: What I have found so far is that if do a --rhost for a local machine, and once gdb is started, I do a sh ( start a shell within gdb ), and then do the commands like telnets, etc. and once I get to the machine I want to debug, I start gdb there, and attach to process. This process seems to work ok on initial trial.

QUESTION: Are there any possibilites/concerns with doing what I did above i.e. something like ddd expecting the original gdb to respond for something, ( bcos original gdb is now hung because I started a shell in it ). Or is it safe ?

Any info is appreciated...  Thanks for your help.