ddd

45 minutes to display data structure

From: Paul Long
Subject: 45 minutes to display data structure
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 13:43:07 -0500

I have a single data structure that is made up of over 500 C structs and
unions. When I, for example, double click on an instance of the root struct
in the source, DDD takes 45 minutes before displaying it. Is there any way
to speed this up? For example, can I instruct DDD to _incrementally_ prepare
to display the structure as I navigate deeper and deeper into it rather than
prepare it all at once (which is apparently what it's doing)? If there is no
way to speed this up, does anyone have a workaround or suggestion as to how
to deal with this situation? I am running Linux 7.1 on an 800mHz Dell
desktop. I'm guessing that I have 128MB of RAM.

FWIW, the header file for this data structure is generated automatically
based on a syntax specification using a data-definition language (ASN.1) so
I can't just redesign the data structure.

Thanks,
Paul