ddd

Re: Cannot access remote file

From: apgaylard
Subject: Re: Cannot access remote file
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 15:15:13 GMT

> Hello,
>
> I've just setup ddd so I can use it remotely to debug apps on a machine
> that's not setup to run any X applications.  Everything seems to be working
> fine, but when I try to load an application, I get the following error
> message:
>
> 'DDD: No Remote Source'
> 'Cannot access remote file "/home/me/app.c"'
>
> I understand the message.  We will never have source on this machine.  How
> can I turn this off so it doesn't automatically look for source when loading
> the object?  Can you tell me am I wasting my time using ddd with not having
> my source available?  Is there any way to see the source on the remote (ddd)
> machine instead of looking for it on the target (objects located here)
> machine?  If I could get the source on the remote machine where ddd is
> located maybe this could work.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Shannon C. Kerr

Hi Shannon,

I haven't tried this, but section 2.4 of the manual seems to describe exactly
what you're trying to do (2.4.3 in particular).

Essentially, you need to run gdbserver and the binary on your target machine
(which can be a fairly limited system), while gdb, ddd, and the source are all
on your main machine.

If you don't have the manual, let me know and I'll mail you the PDF or PS file.

This message was sent using M-Web Airmail - JUST LIKE THAT
M-Web: S.A.'s most trusted and reliable Internet Service Provider.
http://airmail.mweb.co.za/