ddd

Problem with DDD

From: Beckwith, Stephen @ GNS
Subject: Problem with DDD
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 15:43:38 -0400

Greetings,
   I seem to be having a problem with DDD, and I'm a bit lost at this point.
Please note, I did not setup this environment, I'm just the "clean up" guy.
This is for an embedded project, using some cross development tools and JTAG
emulators.  Here's my setup:

    Host:  Linux Machine, RedHat 9.  I use WinAXE (from LABF) on my PC to
telnet and log into the Linux Machine (an AMD Duron based PC).  I run
various X-windows here, and we've been using KATE as our Editor.   We have a
cross compiler that was built, it's a 2.95.3 PowerPC version.  The target
CPU is a Motorola MPC8260 (which is based upon the PPC 603e core).
   TARGET:  CPU = MPC8260, with some Flash and SRAM.  The current rev
hardware has been "hacked" severely, due to some initial design "mistakes".
We currently use an EST (now WindRiver) Vision ICE II as the primary means
for debugging.  This is a LAN enabled ICE, we telnet into it and can
download code into the SRAM for execution.  This CPU does NOT have a
"console port" for communication, is NOT capable of running a monitor (yet)
and will NOT be running any sort of OS, due to timing constraints.
    DEBUG:
    DDD Version 3.3.1, as delivered on the Red Hat Version 9 SW
    GDB is Version 4.18, for host= i686-pc-linux-gnu with target =
powerpc-linux-gnu

PROBLEM:
   I have been able to get DDD to launch, and "attach" it to the Cross-GDB
debugger.  I can load code, and start/stop execution.  Setting breakpoints
and seeing code halt works.  Single step, and Next step seem to be working
find.  My problem is with displaying data.  If I enable local variables, I
see these displayed in the "graph" window.  However, when I select a "global
variable" and try to display it, I don't get see it appear in the graph
window, as I would expect.  I see a rather lengthy message in the gdb
console window (things like language c: 4 elements, 12 bytes each, etc.).
When I set a "display" for this global variable, when I step, yes, I see it
in the gdb console window, updated as it changes.  Print also dumps the
output to the console window as well.  I did try to print a structure and
was able to get this output in the console window, complete with structure
member names.  However, there seems to be some missing "link" between the
debugger and DDD.  What am I missing here?  Some configuration item?  Some
Switch?

   My suspicion is that the Cross Debugger is either a) incapable of working
with DDD; b) was built without certain "hooks" to allow it to work with DDD.

    This next phase of our software "integration" will require us to view
some rather complex structures, buffer pools, linked lists, and very big and
complicated structures.  So, having a GUI based debugger is, IMHO, a MUST.
(I paid my dues doing ASM level non-symbolic debugging on DSP's 12 years
ago, thank you).

   Since I don't have root access, building a new cross version based upon
the 5.3 release may not be possible.

   Any insights you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You for your Time and Expertise, it is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Regards,
Stephen Beckwith
Systems Engineer/Software Architect/Developer
L-3 Communications GNS