ddd

Re: use / handling of debug information for structures

From: apgaylard
Subject: Re: use / handling of debug information for structures
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 06:17:13 GMT

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am not sure to put my question in here but someone knowing the
> internals of ddd might be able to answer it.
>
> ddd is able to display instances of structure types and their components
> .... it also displays the addresses/offsets, subtypes and of course their
> values.
>
> My question is, how does ddd retrieve this information?
>
> I am trying to use the debug information gcc can add to executables to
> reconstruct trees of structures. Using 'objdump --stabs' delivers enough
> information to do this, but I will get strings and like to know if this
> information is held in another form ... probably a ready to use linked
> list of types and subtypes??

DDD works by sending commands to the inferior debugger (e.g. gdb), and
reading it's output.  To see what happens behind the scenes, try using

    ddd --trace

Now, even when the mouse pointer passes over a piece of text in the
source window, you will see the commands issued and the results returned.

Andrew.

This message was sent using M-Web Airmail - JUST LIKE THAT
M-Web: S.A.'s most trusted and reliable Internet Service Provider.
http://airmail.mweb.co.za/