ddd

Re: Control chars dont work on command line (and other qns)

From: Andrew Gaylard
Subject: Re: Control chars dont work on command line (and other qns)
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 16:55:40 +0200

Hi Saurabh,

Saurabh Tendulkar wrote:
Hello,

I'm running ddd-3.3.8 configured --without-ncurses on solaris 8, compiled using
Sun workshop 6 compilers.

It probably is not related to your problems that you describe below, but
why do you use "--without-ncurses"?

1. In ddd-3.1.3, control-U would work on the command line to erase current
line. ddd-3.3.8 has this option in the menu and it says the key is ctrl-U but
ctrl-U does absolutely nothing. Is there any way to get this to work? Other
keys such as ctrl-A dont work as expected. They go to the very beginning of the
line, which includes the dbx prompt... this is very unuseful. Something that
can go to the beginning of the user-input part will really help.

I've tried this with Linux and gdb, and it works at it should.
Remember that Ctrl-A can have two meanings, which are set in
Edit->Preferences->Startup.

This may be a due to Num-Lock; if it's on, try turning it off, and let
us know.

2. In ddd-3.1.3, the command tool used to appear on invocation of ddd. Now it
doesnt appear unless you start running the program or hit alt-8. Is it possible
to get it to appear automatically on ddd startup?

Again, this works for me as it should.  But I know of some problems with
menus that affect Solaris but not other platforms (Linux, HPUX).  In
particular, the "right-click" menu in the source windows works, but only
the first time; after that it never responds.  I'm planning to
investigate and fix this in the 3.3.10 release -- Solaris is a very
important platform (although I don't use it), and I'd like to see it
work.

3. On the dbx command line if I echo $PAGER, the answer is cat => dbx commands
don't page, they all scroll to finish. This is very difficult to read. The
problem is esp severe coz I've exported PAGER to "less" in my environment. If
dbx is run directly, the PAGER value is correct (ie. "less"). Is there any way
to fix this?

Sorry, but DDD needs this in order to work (in fact, it's DDD which sets
dbx's PAGER to "cat").  Without some fairly big changes to the way DDD's
command window works, you're stuck with scrolling with the Motif scroll
bars.  You can try setting Edit->Preferences->Startup->Separate Windows,
which will allow a command-window to be the full height of the screen,
and hence there will be less scrolling.

If that doesn't help, then, well... I welcome any patches!

Hope you can help. Thank you very much, and kudos for an excellent product that
fills a need.

Thanks!

Andrew.