ddd

Re: ddd with Tru64 cxx

From: Arnaud Desitter
Subject: Re: ddd with Tru64 cxx
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 18:02:55 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Mooney" <address@hidden>
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.debugging.ddd.general
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2004 5:29 PM

> In regard to: Re: ddd with Tru64 cxx, Arnaud Desitter said (at 10:30am
on...:

> >Hi,
> >
> >After a quick search and according
> >http://h30097.www3.hp.com/cplus/cxx_ref.htm#lib_opt
> >you need to add "-D__USE_STD_IOSTREAM" to compile
> >you example below. Could you try it and report your results
> >to this list ?
>
> Arnaud-
>
> That fixed it!  The top level configure now proceeds as expected.

Ok. I will add a note to PROBLEMS.

 > I am now running into problems when configuring libiberty (on Tru64,
> Solaris 8, and IRIX 6.5.20), but those appear to be inconsistencies
> between the two configure scripts (top level is generated via autoconf
> 2.53, libiberty configure is still 2.13).

I know. See below.

> The output from libiberty's configure on all the platforms I've tested is
>
> configure: running /bin/sh './configure' --prefix=/local '--prefix=/local'
'--exec-prefix=/local' '--bindir=${exec_prefix}/bin/X11'
'--with-readline-libraries' 'CC=cc'
'CFLAGS=-O2 -xansi -n32 -OPT:Olimit=3000 -I/local/gnu/include'
'CPPFLAGS= -I/local/gnu/include'
'CXXFLAGS=-LANG:std -O2 -n32 -OPT:Olimit=3000' 'CXX=CC'
'LDFLAGS= -L/usr/lib32 -L/local/gnu/lib' --cache-file=/dev/null --srcdir=.
> configure: warning: CC=cc: invalid host type
> configure: warning:
CFLAGS=-O2 -xansi -n32 -OPT:Olimit=3000 -I/local/gnu/include: invalid host
type
> configure: error: can only configure for one host and one target at a time
> configure: error: /bin/sh './configure' failed for libiberty
>

> Obviously the CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS differ by platform, but the basic result
> is the same.  libiberty's configure doesn't like what the top level
> configure is passing it.  I've seen this before with other projects, and
> it's because the top level configure was generated by recent autoconf, and

> the subordinate configure was not.
>
> It looks like it will take a little work to massage libiberty's
> configure.in to work with recent autoconf.  I may have a chance to do that
> this weekend, but I doubt it.  I'll report back when I have a chance to
> look at the problem.

Don't bother. It is fixed.
I did a lot of work on the autotools and the situation should be better with
ddd
3.3.9. For that particular problem, ddd 3.3.9's libiberty comes from the GCC
cvs
repository and uses autoconf 2.5. Moreover, there will be a
"--without-libiberty"
configure option. We may even disable libiberty by default.
Meanwhile, you will have to type by hand the proper configure command in
the libiberty directory or get ddd cvs version.

Please report any other problems.

Regards,