ddd

Re: DDD 3.3.8 and HP-UX 11.0

From: Tim Mooney
Subject: Re: DDD 3.3.8 and HP-UX 11.0
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 18:27:57 -0600 (CST)

In regard to: DDD 3.3.8 and HP-UX 11.0, Tom Wurgler said (at 3:08pm on Jan...:

>Hi all,
>
>I've been attempting all the tips given in response to my note about
>compiling problems for HP-UX 11.0.
>
>I've tried every way from Sunday to get gcc with "gas" working, bottom line
>is I can never get binutils to fully build (it won't build GNU ld), gcc
>3.3.2 is a pain and though I have recompiled it a herd of times, I *think*
>it still doesn't use GNU as (gas) as the assembler.  DDD compilation still
>fails on

As others have said, you don't want GNU ld.  It probably works pretty well
on Linux and ok on Solaris, but there's a reason why binutils' configure
outputs the message it does.  GNU ld shouldn't be used on most commercial
UNIX platforms, unless you really know what you're doing and are prepared
to do some time debugging it.

You only need GNU as, and it needs to be there when you configure and
build the gcc chain.

As Arnaud has suggested, have you considered downloading prebuilt packages
for binutils and gcc from the HP-UX Porting and Archive Centre?  It's
been years since I made use of that service, but Richard K. Lloyd has
been involved with it since the beginning, and in my opinion does
extremely good work with the ports for HP-UX.

>g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -I./..     -DNDEBUG -O2 -g -Wall -W -trigraphs
> -c -o SourceView.o `test -f 'SourceView.C' || echo './'`SourceView.C
>cc1plus: warning: -g is only supported when using GAS on this processor,
>cc1plus: warning: -g option disabled

Are you sure you don't have multiple g++ front-ends installed on this
system, and the one you're getting *isn't* the one you built yourself?

>/var/tmp//cca7oJ1M.s: Assembler messages:
>/var/tmp//cca7oJ1M.s:11590: Error: Field out of range [-262144..262143]
>(328392).
>/var/tmp//cca7oJ1M.s:13129: Error: Field out of range [-262144..262143]
>(324048).
>/var/tmp//cca7oJ1M.s:23594: Error: Field out of range [-262144..262143]
>(300448).
>make[2]: *** [SourceView.o] Error 1
>make[2]: Leaving directory `/u/rdsnfs5/t901353/src/ddd-3.3.8/ddd'
>make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
>make[1]: Leaving directory `/u/rdsnfs5/t901353/src/ddd-3.3.8/ddd'
>make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>[ddd-3.3.8]rds294[82]% echo $path
>
>I *think* this is failing before trying to link, is that right?  So this still
>seems to be a "as" problem, not a ld problem?

No, from the messages you show it's failing to generate SourceView.o from
SourceView.s, because the assembler doesn't like the assembly that cc1plus
has generated.  That may (or may not) be a bug in cc1plus, but it's
something that most people wouldn't encounter, because most people are
building with GNU as on HP-UX.

>I am beginning to believe it isn't me, but rather this HP.  I cannot add any
>system patches to what might be here already.

Why?  Perhaps you should run an `swverify' (you'll probably need some
command line arguments) on the system.

>  And if I try HP's optional
>compiler, cc and aCC, configure fails trying to build the simple test program
>(it hits "choke me")

That doesn't necessarily indicate a problem.  On a `configure'
that runs to completion and builds a project successfully, you might look
through the config.log and see many many instances where certain tests
fail with "choke me".

Honestly, if you could get your gcc suite built with GAS as the assembler,
you very likely wouldn't be running into the problems you are.  If you
can figure out why that's not working, you'll be able to make progress on
your real goal.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              address@hidden