ddd

Re: Remote debugging register window slow

From: Arnaud Desitter
Subject: Re: Remote debugging register window slow
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 10:10:21 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Iyappan S- CTD, Chennai." <address@hidden>
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.debugging.ddd.general
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 3:17 PM
Subject: Remote debugging register window slow

> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to use ddd-3.3.8 with remote gdb-5.0 (ported to one of
> proprietory processor architecture).  When I click register window for the
> first time in the ddd, it really takes few minutes to get the contents
from
> gdb.  Next time onwards, it is fast.  I don't see this problem when I use
> command line gdb.  I enabled --trace switch and saw what's going on.
>
> I am relatively new to ddd internals.  Anyone faced this problem before ?
> Please advice how to solve this.
>
> Thanks,
> Iyappan

One way to locate the problem is to build ddd with profiling enabled.
For that, assuming you are using gcc, build ddd the usual way:
./configure --prefix=xxx, edit "ddd/Makefile" and add "-pg", then
make and make install).
Then launch ddd and reproduce the sequence that shows the problem.
Then "gprof /path/to/ddd" should show the hot spot.

If possible, provide a patch against the CVS repository.

Regards,