ddd

Re: ddd variable

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: ddd variable
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 21:15:17 -0600

on 5/26/05 8:15 PM, Tim Kirby at address@hidden wrote:

> If you want to know where it's looking you could try running ktrace
> and trace system open calls. You will see everywhere it's looking...
>
> ktrace isn't as nice as some other systems syscall traces, but it
> should be adequate for this purpose...
>
> Tim

Tim,

Thanks for your suggestion. As a "moderate" UNIX user, I have not
encountered ktrace and kdump before. I tried first ktrace ddd first and then
ktrace Ddd. Much output followed, and when I looked at ktrace.out for Ddd
with kdump, I found the statement

  1814 Ddd      RET   read 4096/0x1000
  1814 Ddd      CALL  read(5,58723840,4096)
  1814 Ddd      GIO   fd 5 read 4096 bytes

repeating many times with unreadable lines in between. It appears that some
looping is involved, but how and why?

I'll post this to the ddd list to see if there are other answers. Please see
my original message for the problem.

Joe