ddd

Re: Another release of ddd for GNU Make debugging?

From: ddd
Subject: Re: Another release of ddd for GNU Make debugging?
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 04:50:13 -0500

I've made a candidate ddd tarball and put it on
http://bashdb.sourceforge.net/ddd-3.3.12-test.tar.gz. Over the next
few days I'll be testing this on various servers. Those of you have
have time to test this out, I'd appreciate it if you do so.

Should you want to try GNU Make debugging, the latest CVS source has
what I think are important improvements that are not in last
release. For those that don't want to bother with CVS or can't, I've
put the latest debugger-enabled GNU Make in
http://bashdb.sourceforge.net/remake-3.80+dbg-0.5cvs.tar.gz.

I had a bit of trouble in runing "make dist" to build the
distribution, and yes, the GNU Make debugger was helpful here.

The first problem was that "make dist" wants to create a ddd directory
under ddd/ddd, but there is already the ddd executable. No, I'm not
kidding, but I do think 3 times ddd is taking things a bit too far,
even if mystics assert this is a magical. So I had to remove the ddd
executable before running "make dist".

The next problem I ran into was that my texi2pdf seems to insist on
creating a pdf which meant that pdf includes were looked for. And when
the program went to create a ps from a dvi that failed. Here's where I
just added the -E option to my make program to get the offending line
number so I could just patch around the Makefile and use pdf2ps
instead of dvips.

Rocky

Andrew reports: