debian-sf-devel

Re: [Debian-sf-devel] Database Model and components

From: Roland Mas
Subject: Re: [Debian-sf-devel] Database Model and components
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 18:27:43 +0100

James Michael DuPont (2002-11-15 03:28:56 -0800) :

> Dear all,
> I have taken my lunch break to do a reverse engineering of the
> sf database model.

  That's cool.  Coincidentally, I was starting to ask the same thing
from a co-worker :-)

> I have taken the file : sourceforge/db/SourceForge_2_5.sql (Does
> anyone have a fully patched model, I will updated)

  Well, there's deb-specific/sf-2.6-complete.sql, but it is still not
the fully current schema, since db-upgrade.pl changes the schema
afterwards.  Your best bet would be to connect Powerdesigner to a
running database (I'm told it can do that).

[...]

> I also have a perl script somewhere for extracting all types of data
> from the PDM model, and producing a clean xml.  from there we can
> generate all types of nice code...

  The most useful use I can think of would be to generate either a
nice Postscript detailing all tables and their relations, or something
like the output of Doxygen, with hyperlinks from table to table where
integrity constraints are available.  I like what's currently
available, but everything in one big page is rather unreadable.

  Some other use would be to somehow grep for unused tables and/or
fields in the sources.  I'm convinced there are unused tables or
columns that we could drop.

> Hope you like this, More to come.

  You bet I like it :-)  Thanks a lot, keep it up!

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

Two elephants fell off a cliff.