Re: [DejaGnu] GUI Testing

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [DejaGnu] GUI Testing
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 18:55:13 -0600

On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 03:43:42PM -0400, Bao Ha wrote:

> I would like to build a test suite for a Swing-based Java applet.
>
> How do I do that in dejagnu?  I am interested in learning how
> to enter values into the GUI.

  Hum... Up till now, the only time I've used DejaGnu for testing GUIs,
we used a hacked up displayless X server. Adding real GUI testing support
to DejaGnu is near the top of the TODO list, but it's not there now...
There are some examples of doing remote control of GUI based app using Tk,
that I'm going to try to use as a base to get started.

  I have a GUI based app I'm testing now, but I cheat. The app prints many
verbose debug messages to the screen, so I just have DejaGnu look for those
to see if the program is running correctly. Doesn't do any good for actually
testing the GUI though.

        - rob -