Re: [DejaGnu] how to test my remote target

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [DejaGnu] how to test my remote target
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 19:58:31 -0600

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 01:49:45PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:

> I presume that the dejagnu testframework will ease my work but I could
> not make a similar thing running with dejagnu. I read the dejagnu manual
> but I could not find an example fitting to my needs - even no idea to write

  The best examples are in the GCC & GDB testsuites, which are availble
from sources.redhat.com as well as gnu.org.

  Maybe not, since I wrote it. :-)

> Where must I specify telnet username and password correctly for the
> boards?
> Where do I have to put the target description files and how do they look
> like?

  Having the testcase run native is the first step. The setting you need to
specify go in the "global site.exp" file. These can also go in the baseboard
files, for more common targets.

  The global site.exp file looks something like this:

global target_list
case "$target_triplet" in {
    { "native" } {
        set target_list "unix"
    }

    { "arc-*elf*" } {
        set target_list { arc-sim }
    }

    { "mips-*vxworks5.3" } {
        set target_list "butthead-vx43"
    }
    { "mips64vr5000-*vxworks5.3" } {
        set target_list "happy"
    }
    { "m68*-unknown-aout" } {           # IDP board with IDP monitor
        set target_abbrev               "rom68k"
        # IDP target
        set target_info(idp,name)       "idp"
        set target_info(idp,ldflags)    " -nostdlib"
        set target_info(idp,config)     m68k-unknown-aout
        set target_info(idp,cflags)     " -N -Wl,-Tidp.ld -msoft-float"
        set target_info(idp,connect)    netdata
# Not s12, that's the r4000 board.
#       set target_info(idp,target)     "s12"
#       set target_info(idp,serial)     "tstty12"
#       set target_info(idp,netport)    "20008"
        set target_info(idp,netport)    "hellcab:1004"
        set target_info(idp,baud)        "9600"
        # MVME target
        set target_info(mvme,name)      "mvme"
        set target_info(mvme,ldflags)   " -nostdlib"
        set target_info(mvme,config)    m68k-unknown-aout
        set target_info(mvme,cflags)    " -Wl,-Tidp.ld -msoft-float"
        set target_info(mvme,connect)   telnet
#       set target_info(mvme,target)    "s12"
#       set target_info(mvme,serial)    "tstty8"
#       set target_info(mvme,netport)   "20008"
        set target_info(mvme,netport)    "hellcab:1004"
        set target_info(mvme,baud)      "9600"
     }
}

  The target_list variable vector into one of the baesboard files. If it's
not a standard target, then you have to set the fields directly, like in the
m68k-aout example. These settings are all documented in the reference manual.
When you invoke runtest with --target, (or it's set in a local site.exp file)
and that config triplet doesn't equal the host triplet, then the settings in
the global config file make the test case work in the remote environment.

        - rob -