Re: DejaGnu-tutorial

From: dank
Subject: Re: DejaGnu-tutorial
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 09:35:30 -0700

> >   Niklaus> Some time ago (Nov 2001) I submitted on the same mailing list a
> > propopal for
> >   Niklaus> a short introduction into getting DejaGnu up and running. I
> > never got a
> >   Niklaus> response from you whether you would accept such a tutorial and
> > integrate it
> >   Niklaus> into the DejaGnu distribution.
> >
> > Would it make sense to fold this into the user manual so that there is
> > one definitive place to find Dejagnu documentation?
>
> Sure, but I am not used at editing SGML documents it will demand much more
> time, but I  could give it a try. Do you have a suggestion for a SGML editor
> (preferably graphical)? Currently I either use LyX, abiword, vi. kword and
> openoffice are also installed.

http://www.docbook.org/wiki/moin.cgi/DocBookAuthoringTools says
that Emacs has wysiwyg support for DocBook.  jEdit also has some
support.  That's it for free tools.

> It would demand a certain redesign of the whole dejagnu manual.

As a first step, I'd suggest *not* redesigning the whole dejagnu manual;
just add a chapter.  That's the quickest path to something useful...

> BTW, I would appreciate if a native english speaker would proof read my
> additions.

I'd be happy to.  My notes so far on your tutorial are at
http://www.kegel.com/xgcc3/dg_notes.txt
Once you have some DocBook source, I'd be happy to fix up the English, too.
Also, I have a mini-tutorial on using Dejagnu to run gcc's test suite
remotely, at http://www.kegel.com/xgcc3/dejagnu.html
Perhaps that could become part of the dejagnu manual at some point?

(I've had the O'Reilly DocBook book for ages, and first read the SGML
spec in 1986, but have never actually had a chance to use any of that
stuff.  Finally, an excuse to play with it!)
- Dan