Re: Using Dejagnu for IP Router Testing

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: Using Dejagnu for IP Router Testing
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 10:00:49 -0600

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 04:49:55PM +0530, Muthu wrote:

> I am trying to see the possibility of using DejaGNU for Testing IP routers.
> Router testing here means testing the CLI's that the router exposes through
> Telnet.
> Has anyone done this before? How easy is it to use DejaGNU for Regression
> Testing of Routers?.

  It should work just fine. A router is just another embedded target. I used
to do similar testing by telneting to the serial port on my Livingston
Terminal Server, and then exercising the command line functions. As DejaGnu
will test interactive targets (thanks to expect), you can test your router.

  You can also start up other Unix based tasks, connect them to the router to
see what happens, etc... DejaGnu can also handle multiple tasks, so you can
make sure your router is actually routing packets.

        - rob -