remote execution hangs (how to timeout)

From: NITIN GUPTA
Subject: remote execution hangs (how to timeout)
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 16:03:50 -0700

I am using unix.exp for testing my cross-gcc. unix.exp is using remote_exec for executing my binaries on my board. I am having trouble in understanding the timeout. If it is a local execution, remote_exec ( in dejagnu lib remote.exp) calls "local_exec" and passes timeout as an argument, where as in case of remote board, it calls "call_remote", with no timeout.

My problem is that I fall into call_remote, which in turn call standard_exec, and which calls rsh_exec (rsh.exp) and it hangs while executing

set status [catch "exec cat $inp | $RSH $boardname sh -c '$cmd $pargs \\; echo XYZ\\\${?}ZYX' |& cat" output]

I put
expect * {} timeout {exit 0}
after this line, but it didn't help. What am I doing wrong, any direction? I also looked at vxworks.exp, but it seems to be using remote_exec as well.