Re: Documenting how to do remote testing

From: Daniel Jacobowitz
Subject: Re: Documenting how to do remote testing
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 21:11:39 -0400

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 05:55:27PM -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
> The Dejagnu doc contains two different tries at documenting how
> to do remote testing:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/dejagnu/manual/x319.html
> http://www.gnu.org/software/dejagnu/manual/releng.html
>
> Neither of those really hits the mark for me.  The script MkTestDir
> referred to by releng.html isn't online anywhere,
> and x319.html seems to put board config info in a default file
> in a way that probably only allows remote testing on one target.
>
> I still have never managed to execute a gcc test remotely, so I'm
> writing a simple, complete example as I figure things out myself.
> I'm purposely not using autoconf, automake, or the standard 'testsuite/'
> convention in this example to keep the example simple, and reduce the
> number of files the user needs to confront during the example.
>
> I've written a pair of files test2.{c,exp} (see below).
> Assuming PATH includes the current directory, the command
>    runtest test2.exp
> will compile and run test2.c, and perform three simple execution tests on
> it.
>
> Then, assuming the fluffy cloud of magic config files is set up properly,
> the command
>    runtest --target=s390-ibm-linux-gnu test2.exp

>From my understanding, no, use --target_board for this.  Then create a
file in boards/ parallel to your site.exp (or baseboards/ in the main dejagnu
tree).

Here's an example board using SSH with public key auth and no
passphrase.  RSH is similar.

# gdbserver running over ssh.

load_generic_config "gdbserver";

process_multilib_options "";

# The default compiler for this target.
#set_board_info compiler  "[find_gcc]";

set_board_info compiler  "/opt/hardhat/devkit/ppc/7xx/bin/ppc_7xx-gcc";
set_board_info c++compiler  "/opt/hardhat/devkit/ppc/7xx/bin/ppc_7xx-g++";

set_board_info rsh_prog /usr/bin/ssh
set_board_info rcp_prog /usr/bin/scp
set_board_info protocol standard
set_board_info hostname voltaire.debian.org
set_board_info username dan
set_board_info gdb_server_prog /home/dan/gdb/mv/obj/gdb/gdbserver/gdbserver

# We will be using the standard GDB remote protocol
set_board_info gdb_protocol "remote"

# Name of the computer whose socket will be used, if required.
set_board_info sockethost "voltaire.debian.org:"

# Port ID to use for socket connection
# set_board_info gdb,socketport "4004"

# Use techniques appropriate to a stub
set_board_info use_gdb_stub 1;

# This gdbserver can only run a process once per session.
set_board_info gdb,do_reload_on_run 1;

# There's no support for argument-passing (yet).
set_board_info noargs 1

# Can't do input (or output) in the current gdbserver.
set_board_info gdb,noinferiorio 1

# Can't do hardware watchpoints, in general
set_board_info gdb,no_hardware_watchpoints 1;

global board_info
set board_info(voltaire.debian.org,rsh_prog) /usr/bin/ssh
set board_info(voltaire.debian.org,rcp_prog) /usr/bin/scp

--
Daniel Jacobowitz