Re: Documenting how to do remote testing

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: Documenting how to do remote testing
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 20:46:29 -0600

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 09:11:39PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

  --target is for the config triplet, and --target_board specifies the board
config file. Your board config file can also reference stuff in the config
directory that's already mostly preconfigured. Usually it's easiest to just
copy the test files from something that works already.

  The entire remote testing infrastructure is unfortunately in need of a
complete rewrite. It was never designed in the first place. DejaGnu started
getting used for GCC/GDB testing when it was a 6 weeks old program, and
unfortunately the entire remote testing infrastructure grew and was hacked on
by quite a few people that didn't entirely agree on how to do things. So now,
what you see is a 12 year old collection of random tweaking. I, and I know
others, have learned a great deal about the nature of how to do cross testing.
We really had no clue in the beginning.

  One of the problems is there is no real design of variables and settings for
target boards. Things get created and left undocumented all the time. We're
lucky there is even a rough naming convention...

  One thing I'd love to do if I could find the time is go through all config
and baseboard files, extract the common functionality, and design a real
design oriented list of varibles, procedures, etc... Ideally this would use
iTcl or TclXML for a degree of data abstraction. Someday maybe... Till then
it's a bit of a poorly documented mess.

        - rob -