Re: whew. remote testing working. Writeup online.

From: Dan Kegel
Subject: Re: whew. remote testing working. Writeup online.
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 00:32:35 -0700

Doug Evans wrote:
1) Regarding tracing of what dejagnu is doing: try
make check RUNTESTFLAGS="-v -v -v -v"

or just "runtest -v -v -v -v ..."

Level 4 is (or has been) the max.  Try various levels.
The lower levels (-v and -v -v) are excessively verbose for my
tastes but way back when I was unable to convince the powers that be of this.

Yep, worth mentioning.

2) To avoid confusion I would replace
"The TCL command target_compile ..." and
"The TCL command remote_load ..."

with

"The Dejagnu function target_compile ..." and
"The Dejagnu function remote_load ..."

OK.

3) It'd be useful to mention the $DEJAGNU variable (or ~/.dejagnurc I think).

OK, though that's starting to tiptoe into the "What Files Dejagnu Reads"
section I'm planning to reinject into the manual...

And while the topic of your document is remote testing the context
is cross toolchains, thus it would be nice to mention simulation.
The following also applies to target boards though, the tricky part is
setting target_list correctly plus corresponding board configuration
which you've already covered to some extent.

Suppose you've built an arm-elf toolchain (*1) and want to test it.
Here are the steps one can use:

a) Create a file, called, say ~/etc/dejagnu.exp.

In the file put:

switch -glob "$target_triplet" {
    "arm-*-elf" {
        set target_list { arm-sim }
    }

    default {
        send_user "ERROR: dejagnu.exp Unknown target $target_triplet\n"
        exit 1
    }
}

This will create a file that tells dejagnu to use the simulator
for tool testing.

b) point $DEJAGNU at the file

bash$ export DEJAGNU=$HOME/etc/dejagnu.exp

This will save having to specify --target_board each time.

c) Then, running dejagnu reduces to:

cd $HOME/arm/b-binutils
make -k check
cd $HOME/arm/b-gcc
make -k check
cd $HOME/arm/b-gdb
make -k check

Oooh.  Yeah, that's worth mentioning in a "How to test gcc" article like this.

BTW, do you know a way to get gcc and glibc to run only compile-time checks?
It's tempting to run those during the build phase, and run the others
later.

Thanks,
Dan

--