RE: Using telnet for remote testing

From: Dan Kegel
Subject: RE: Using telnet for remote testing
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 13:38:48 -0700

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> I can't imagine why you had to hack rsh.  A .rhosts file should be
> plenty for both rsh and rcp.  You have to be careful which of Debian's
> rsh packages you install - don't get the kerberized ones.

Well, I just tried again, and this time vanilla rshd/rlogind/rcp
from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/inetutils/inetutils-1.4.1.tar.gz
built and ran without any trouble.  I must have been smoking crack before.

I did have to use tcpdump and strace a few times to figure out
well-known things like "rsh without a command is a synonym for rlogin"
and "rcp must be in the path on the remote side, too",
but that wasn't too bad.  The resulting binaries are nice and small, too,
if you have shared libararies, anyway...
- Dan