Re: Improving 'verbose'

From: cgd
Subject: Re: Improving 'verbose'
Date: 11 Jul 2003 13:45:32 -0700

At Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:37:02 -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
> There's also the --strace N argument to runtest, but I tried that, and man
> is that cryptic!  I have no idea what it means.  Not even sure where to look
> for documentation on it.  Google doesn't search too well for things starting
> with dashes...

hehe.

well, at the risk of stating the obvious, i glanced at the source, and
it looks like it invokes the expect 'strace' command:

       strace level
             causes following statements  to  be  printed  before
             being  executed.   (Tcl's trace command traces vari-
             ables.)  level indicates how far down  in  the  call
             stack  to trace.  For example, the following command
             runs Expect while tracing  the  first  4  levels  of
             calls, but none below that.

                 expect -c "strace 4" script.exp

             The -info flag causes strace to return a description
             of the most recent non-info arguments given.

(from the expect manual page.)

I just tried it.  boy, that can be verbose.  8-)

cgd