RE: new DejaGnu team member

From: Dan Kegel
Subject: RE: new DejaGnu team member
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 21:50:12 -0700

Ben Elliston wrote:

> Dan Kegel <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > While we're on the subject of Dejagnu improvements, anyone
> > interested in souping it up to be able to take advantage of multiple
> > identical target systems so the tests can be run in parallel?
>
> I am.
>
> Done properly, a nice side effect of running tests on multiple targets
> is that native testing or testing on simulators can take advantage of
> multiprocessor systems.
>
> Would you care to sketch out a plan?

The idea is to execute dg-style tests (where dg is a simple
high-level driver used by many of the gcc tests) in parallel,
and leave other styles of test alone.  (I think gcc is moving
more of the tests towards dg in order to make it easier to support
that other regression testing framework.)

This lets you easily pipeline compilation and execution,
since dg-style tests do nothing but run simple standalone programs
in batch mode on the target.
- Dan