documentation overhaul

From: Ben Elliston
Subject: documentation overhaul
Date: 02 Feb 2004 20:59:20 +1100

Now that 1.4.4 is out, I am going to spend a few weeks concentrating
on further improving the documentation.  I am working on a branch of
the mainline for this and will merge the work back when I am done.

I want to resolve the problem that the Info documentation is woefully
out of date and inadequate.  I have had some limited success using the
"docbook2texi" command from the docbook-utils package to generate all
of the documentation from a single set of Docbook sources.

At the moment, I am doing an editorial pass: cleaning up typos,
incorrect grammar, awkwardly worded sentences, checking references for
accuracy, etc.  I will then start looking at the structure of the
documentation.  At this point, I might be looking to recruit some
helpers! :-)

Ben