using Texinfo

From: Ben Elliston
Subject: using Texinfo
Date: 04 Feb 2004 08:28:06 +1100

Hi Rob

I've been working on the documentation a great deal the last few
nights.  I think it's cleaning up nicely.  I'll allow others to give
me feedback when I've finished my work on my branch.

One thing that has been bothering me is Docbook.  I'd like to discuss
the idea of using Texinfo for the DejaGnu documentation.  While
Docbook has its place, I feel that Texinfo might be a better choice
for the following reasons:

  * packages of the GNU Project use Texinfo by convention;
  * everyone is familiar with it;
  * people are much more likely to have makeinfo and other tools
    installed on their systems than the prescribed version of
    docbook-utils (hell, even *we* had problems);
  * we can generate good Info documentation (a MUST), which we
    currently cannot--I tried using docbook2texi, but it doesn't work
    well at all;
  * we can still generate alternative renderings like PostScript and
    HTML using texi2dvi and texi2html.

What do you think?

Ben