Re: Using DejaGnu in a regression farm

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: Using DejaGnu in a regression farm
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 17:57:15 -0600

Sean Cavanaugh wrote:

I'm looking at using DejaGnu to help automate a regression testing farm. We
plan to have a number of boards connected to the test computer via serial and
network, and will be testing the Board Support Packages we're developing
(including testing everything from the Linux kernel to userland applications).

From what I have seen over the last few days of working with it, it seems like
DejaGnu would be a useful tool for this application. However, my experience
with it is limited, so I would like to ask those with more experience:

Has anyone done something like this?  Is it (not) a good idea? If we do go
ahead with this, is it something the DejaGnu community would like to see
contributed back to the project?

Actually the original design conditions were to support a testing farm. Back at Cygnus we had a room full of embedded boards and weird unix machines, and would build and test GCC/GDB/Binutils in an automated fashion 24/7. DejaGnu supplied testing support for remote unix machines or embedded systems over serial connections. Each SBC had an X10 controller, and we could automatically reboot the board if a test case hung the remote system, which is common when working on fresh compiler ports...

We also used DejaGnu to test libgloss, which was the BSP library for GCC/GDB. That ran on many different processors, but that's what DejaGnu was designed to handle.

The higher level code that we used to automate all the testing was never part of DejaGnu, and was pretty heavily customized for our own particular setup. If worked pretty good, but once we had a few dozen systems, maintaining it became close to a full-time job.

It would be good to add support for this in a more generic fashion. I imagine quite a few other people have similar testing farms up and running as well. For any application that already has DejaGnu style test suites, testing it remotely would be reasonably easy. Otherwise you'd need to write your own test suites.

        - rob -