RE: remote serial connection

From: Dave Korn
Subject: RE: remote serial connection
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 17:55:57 +0100

On 25 July 2006 15:28, David Byron wrote:

> there's a file missing that if I remember right is/was part of dejagnu:
> console.exp.
>
> I'm looking for the remote_serial_connect routine.  Does anyone know if this
> routine is still around?

  'grep' says no.

> Was it around before or has my memory failed me
> once again?
>
> I think I'm trying to do a fairly standard thing.  I've got an embedded
> target with no ethernet support, but a serial port.  I've got what I call a
> test host connected to that serial port that also has ethernet (let's call
> this machine B).  Then I've the machine running dejagnu (machine A) that's
> got ethernet.
>
> The idea is to telnet from machine A to machine B, and then use cu or
> something to connect to the serial port that gets me to the target.  In the
> end, I've got a $spawn_id that I can use to send and expect.

  Look at $prefix/share/dejagnu/remote.exp, in particular "proc call_remote"
is quite informative for how you'd go about adding an extra remote protocol.
You might want to do a minor enhancement of telnet.exp, since what you're
doing sounds largely like the telnet protocol with a bit of extra gubbins to
launch 'cu' immediately after connecting over telnet.

    cheers,
      DaveK