Re: honoring gcc test stack size

From: Joel Sherrill
Subject: Re: honoring gcc test stack size
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 10:12:45 -0600

Joel Sherrill wrote:
Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 15:47:14 -0600
From: Joel Sherrill <address@hidden>

I investigated one failure: pr20621-1.x3

You mean gcc/testsuite/gcc.c-torture/execute/pr20621-1.c at -O3?
From the looks of it, it would take about 2*0x4000*4 bytes stack.

Random thought overnight..  in RTEMS,  we have the
capability to print a report with worst stack usage
for every thread.

Would it make sense in the future as a (beginner?)
GCC project to let me generate a set of GCC testresults
and let someone see which tests have issues honoring
the stack size.

(Run 1) Run with a small 2-8K stack.
(Run 2) Run with 256K or 512K stack and print stack
 usage via an atexit() function.

What passed in Run 2 but fails in Run 1 has a stack issue
and the report in Run 2's log would show the peak.

Repeat until the runs have the same results.

Would that be useful?

--joel