Re: SIM env. variable question in baseboards

From: Hans-Peter Nilsson
Subject: Re: SIM env. variable question in baseboards
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 19:27:14 +0200

> From: Steve Ellcey <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 19:09:13 +0200

> So, as a strawman proposal, perhaps we should have a baseboard that
> checks the env. variables:
>
>       DEJAGNU_SIM
>       DEJAGNU_SIM_LDFLAGS
>       DEJAGNU_SIM_CFLAGS

Sounds great.

> I wonder if we should also allow something like:
>
>       DEJAGNU_SIM_BOARD_INFO
>
> and allow settings like:
>
>       "noargs 1/gcc,stack_size 5000"

Is that a problem?  Doesn't iterating over the variable contents
as a list work, with a setting like
'DEJAGNU_SIM_BOARD_INFO={noargs 1} {gcc,stack_size 5000}' or
'DEJAGNU_SIM_BOARD_INFO={{noargs 1} {gcc,stack_size 5000}}'?

On second thought, that takes us down the road of shell
expansion problems, so maybe better go with a dedicated
separator, or a dynamically assigned one as below.

> which would generate:
>
>       set_board_info noargs 1
>       set_board_info gcc,stack_size  5000
>
> I don't know of '/' is the best separator to use.

How about always having the first character be the separator,
i.e. for the above:

"/noargs 1/gcc,stack_size 5000"

brgds, H-P