How to distinguish between Cygwin and Windows platforms ?

From: Timothy Madden
Subject: How to distinguish between Cygwin and Windows platforms ?
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 03:18:03 +0300

Hello

DejaGnu documentation says windows programs can be tested using Cygwin. However Cygwin is a platform in itself, which is different than native Windows, and some programs have specific Cygwin and Windows builds. Even without specific versions, some programs like vim and cmd.exe behave differently when run from cygwin than from Windows Explorer directly, or from the 'Run' window.

Is there a way to make sure my program will behave no different than expected for Windows, when my tests run from cygwin ? Is there a way to distinguish between cygwin and windows, as different targets ?

Also I see dejagnu reports 'unix' as the target when running from cygwin, which is the same as from my Linux machine. Is there a way to configure my tests so dejagnu detects the right platform ? So my tests can then adapt accordingly ?

Do I always need to rely on autoconf and automake to provide the target on the runtest command line ?

Thank you,
Timothy Madden