Re: ERROR: couldn't load description file for <target_board>

From: jestin james
Subject: Re: ERROR: couldn't load description file for <target_board>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 12:09:11 +0530

Thank you Richard.
It helped me a lot.

Thanks,
Jestin

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 4:27 PM, Richard Sandiford <address@hidden> wrote:
jestin james <address@hidden> writes:
> When I run "runtest --tool gcc " with  --target_board=
> I am getting "ERROR: couldn't load description file for ..".
>
> What are the most-common reasons of this error.
>
> If I run runtest --tool gcc -v --srcdir <path to gcc testsuit> --target_board=
> unix, It is running successfully.
> Where does the target board being picked up from.
>
> If I specify --target_board as "/usr/share/dejagnu/baseboards/unix.exp", it
> does not work. I get the above error.
>
> I have recently started using the DejaGnu framework.
> Could someone help me with this, please?

Yeah, --target_board takes a board name (without .exp) rather than a path name.
"/" is used as an option separator rather than a directory separator.
E.g. "--target_board unix/-foo/-bar" says "run on unix with compiler options
-foo -bar".

If the board file is in /usr/share/dejagnu/baseboards then you shouldn't
need to specify a pathname.  If it's one you've written yourself and
want to keep outside of /usr/share/dejagnu/baseboards then one way is
to create a file /foo/bar/site.exp that contains:

if ![info exists boards_dir] {
    set boards_dir {}
}
lappend boards_dir /directory/containing/my/baseboards

Then set the environment variable DEJAGNU=/foo/bar/site.exp.

If instead you want to use a version of dejagnu you've installed yourself
(not the one in /usr/share/dejagnu) then point the environment variable
DEJAGNULIB to the installation directory.

FWIW, you can also use site.exp to set the default baseboard for a target.
E.g. adding:

global target_list
case $target_triplet {
    {mips64*-*-linux-gnu*} {
        set target_list {unix{-mabi=n32,-mabi=32,-mabi=64}}
    }
}

makes unix the default target board for mips64-linux-gnu and says that
tests should be run three times, once with -mabi=n32, once with -mabi=32
and once with -mabi=64.

Thanks,
Richard