Re: Separating stdout and stderr

From: Christophe Lyon
Subject: Re: Separating stdout and stderr
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 16:11:23 +0200

On 31 March 2016 at 12:20, Ben Elliston <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 12:11:59PM +0200, Christophe Lyon wrote:
>
>> But since we currently have "|&cat", we do redirect stderr, so the
>> "and that standard error is not redirected" claude above is not
>> fulfilled. Do you know what happens in this case?
>
> No, but I would suggest that it is cleaner and more portable to use
> Tcl exec's own way of doing this:
>
> 2>@1
>     Standard error from all commands in the pipeline is redirected to
>     the command result. This operator is only valid at the end of the
>     command pipeline.
>
> This is used like an option, before the actual command.
>
> Give that a go. It might work better.

I tried it, and saw no change in a small manual run.

Anyway, as Maxim explained better, this is going to merge the
2 streams on the builder, not on the board which actually
runs the test. So I think embedding the "2>&1" as part of
command executed remotely is better.

I need to check how I can run a full validation with this
change in our environment.