Re: PATCH: remove redundant methods in dejagnu.h

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: PATCH: remove redundant methods in dejagnu.h
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2018 17:12:16 -0700

On 12/3/18 4:56 PM, Jacob Bachmeyer wrote:

> What revision of C++ added those runtime type conversions?  Is it
> plausible that any projects out there might be using an older C++
> version?  Could there be a compiler out there that does not do those
> conversions on function calls even though it should?

  We use GCC, and don't care about other compilers. :-)

> What, if any, harm does having these unneeded functions do?

  None.  Ben is correct that at least since C++11, if not before, the
"const std:string &" does convert any C style "char *" to a stdc++
string. I'll get tired of apologizing, but I was still learning C++ when
that code was written. :-) Anyway, I wrote that file, and I think the
patch is appropriate.

  Funny enough, recently I've been bringing an ancient C++ project of
mine (powerguru) from the same era back to life, and it's seriously
embarrassing to look at the code I wrote then. I just made that exact
same change in that project a few days ago... For Ben, it's a soon to be
a Raspberry PI based system for monitoring PV power systems. Used to run
on S100 systems with different sensors.

        - rob -