Re: testsuite/lib/libsup.exp appears to be an interesting fossil

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: testsuite/lib/libsup.exp appears to be an interesting fossil
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 20:54:32 -0700

On 12/11/18 7:59 PM, Jacob Bachmeyer wrote:

> Is there a known reason that this approach (an interactive Expect
> subprocess) is not used, or was there simply not time to pursue it in
> early 1996?

  In 1996, when that file was written, nobody was using the unit test
API at all. Later on, that didn't change much. :-) All the toolchain
components had their own internal API, but I thought a unit testing API
for compiled code was a good idea. (GCC's compile tests are different)
It never got a really heavy usage till I used the unit test API for
Gnash 10 years later. I'm using it now for another project, and haven't
seen the problem you mentioned. Maybe I'm just lucky...

  I can't remember any specific reasons that approach (libsup) wasn't
used for anything more than an experiment. Around that time I was
getting ready to start eCOS, so probably just didn't have the time for
something few were interested in.

        - rob -