Re: DejaGnu manpages

From: Jacob Bachmeyer
Subject: Re: DejaGnu manpages
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2018 22:06:10 -0600

Ben Elliston wrote:
On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 09:07:04PM -0600, Jacob Bachmeyer wrote:
I am currently working on the documentation for the promised
dejagnu(1) multi-launcher, and would like to try using the -mdoc
macros for dejagnu.1.  Groff supports these, but the runtest.1 page
uses the older -man macros.  Would using -mdoc for dejagnu.1 be
acceptable?  (The -mdoc markup is much cleaner and closer to a
semantic markup.)

I don't have a problem with it, per se, but am concerned about
portability. Are the mdoc macros available on proprietary Unix systems
(that remain!), Open/NetBSD, etc?

I do not know about proprietary Unix systems, but the -mdoc macros were developed at UCB for BSD and, as far as I know, all of the *BSD manpages have used them since BSD NET-2 if the man(7) manpage on my system is correct. Any proprietary Unix that ships BSD components (and the manpages for those components) would therefore need support for the -mdoc macros. Since they were released as part of BSD, there are few reasons any Unix would not have support for them.

-- Jacob