Re: dejagnu version update?

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: dejagnu version update?
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 09:12:11 -0600

On 5/14/20 8:08 AM, Rainer Orth wrote:

>> stops responding for whatever reason.  I have come up with a solution
>> (that I'd be happy to upstream, except that DejaGNU maintenance seems to
>> have been dead for like a year now), which I have also confirmed to be
>> required with current DejaGNU Git master so it must be a different one,
>> and I would like to know how it might be related to the bug you mention.

  I feel I need to bring up the issue that DejaGnu is 30 years old, and
it's two maintainers are either trying to pay bills, or trying to
retire, or both... This problem will effect more projects in the future,
not just DejaGnu. I'd love to see if anyone would like to become a
co-maintainer, who preferably will be actively working for a few decades
still. I think most people on these lists make their income from working
on the toolchain, but some of us are still volunteers... and getting
older every day...

  There is a patch backlog neither of us have even looked at, sorry. I'm
willing to put some time into this, but I think you all realize the time
involved to adequately test this. I'm not sure I have enough disk space. :-)

  Personally, I tried to find funding to refactor DejaGnu in Python,
since Tcl is unmaintained too, but nobody was interested.

        - rob -
---
https://www.senecass.com